One of my earliest childhood food memories is Saturday morning breakfast made by my dad: egg & cheese on toast. Over-easy, simple, and still, to this day one of my favorite things to eat.
Eggs have to be one of the world’s most perfect foods, and the foundation for so many incredible recipes. I mean, vegans have found a way to live without them, but for me, cooking and baking without eggs would be like sleeping without a pillow. You can still sleep, maybe… but something is definitely missing.
BLT&A with an E on top
- In a large non-stick pan cook the bacon on medium heat until crispy. Carefully transfer the slices onto a paper towel to cool and drain.
- Let the pan cool slightly, wipe out any excess fat with a paper towel, making sure to leave some bacon fat to coat the pan.
- Heat the pan back up on medium heat and crack the egg into it. Season the egg with salt & red pepper flake.
- Let the egg cook for a few minutes, turn the heat off, and cover the pan for a few more minutes until the white is cooked through.
- While the egg is cooking, toast the two pieces of brioche.
- Stack all of the ingredients together starting with one piece of brioche, then sliced avocado, tomato, lettuce, bacon, more avocado, brioche, and egg! Season each layer with kosher salt.
Don’t be shy. You will get your hands dirty and it is so worth it.